Mar 12, 2017

Titles? TITLEZ!

Now that I know that I am making my magazine about soccer, I have to deeply think about what I am going to name it, include in it, and all that good stuff.

The whistle blows, it's time.
Time to start brainstorming and researching!

The first thing I researched was different soccer Magazines. I found that the most popular are WorldSoccer, SoccerAmerica, and FourFourTwo. All three of these magazines are all about soccer but are completely different. For instance, WorldSoccer specializes in the international football scene. Being a member of the European Sports Magazines, similar magazines to WorldSoccer are printed in other languages to appeal to more readers. On the other hand, SoccerAmerica is purely published in English for its American demographic and mainly focuses on soccer in the United States. 

These differences have been critical in my ideas for my magazine. I decided that I want my magazine to focus on a specific audience like SoccerAmerica, which its main audience includes American soccer players. However unlike SoccerAmerica, my target audience would be younger teens and children soccer players more than U.S. soccer players in general.

Name time!

What should I call my magazine? What is professional but also appeals to a younger demographic?
I wanted to title my magazine with a soccer phrase like FourFourTwo, but found that it was difficult to appeal to the younger audiences with titles like that. I realized that younger audiences are more inclined to titles with a "silly" and fun connotation. After millions of titles thrown away such as Goalz, GoalZone, Kickerz, and SoccerStarz, I found my pattern. I had used a "Z" in all of my titles and realized thats the way I wanted to go. I began to mix up the titles and created a masterpiece, KickerZone. But something still felt a little off to me, so I started playing with the capitalization of the word and found that KICKERZONE was more appealing to the eyes and flowed much more smoothly. 

This is just the beginning!

- AC

"Soccer America." Wikipedia. Wikimedia Foundation, 20 Jan. 2017. Web. 12 Mar. 2017. <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soccer_America>. 
"World Soccer (magazine)." Wikipedia. Wikimedia Foundation, 11 Mar. 2017. Web. 12 Mar. 2017. <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Soccer_(magazine)>.

No comments:

Post a Comment