Mar 28, 2017

The Cover Page

Meanwhile I wait for Jessica to finish answering my interview questions, I have decided to begin constructing my cover page so no time goes to waste!

Opening up photoshop, I began to organize my thoughts and contain my excitement. Since I had already designed my outlines and taken my pictures, all I had to do was combine everything together. I thought this was gonna be a breeze, but I was completely wrong!

Based off my outline, I placed the picture, of Jessica kicking the ball, onto my document, beginning the cover design. After zooming in to focus on Jessica, I knew it was time to begin adding in the other elements.

Once I placed the masthead and barcode, I knew my cover was going to look great. I included a drop shadow and stroke onto the masthead to enhance the appearance and target the younger audiences. I then proceeded to create my sell line, "Girl's soccer for all." I felt that this sell line was strong and cohesive since it focuses on females yet is open to "all." 

After an hour or so, I had typed up my date line, main coverline, and other coverlines, along with editing each type and organizing my layout. Here is the cover page I created: 


Although this cover is visually appealing and organized, I realized that some elements of the page had minor issues. For instance, the color of Jessica's name does not stand out from the cover, making it less important. Also, the picture I used did not represent my topic completely; yes the picture illustrates female soccer, but it does not explore the theme of fighting for equality. Along with the cover image, I discovered that the placement of the barcode took attention away from the masthead, which is crucial to any magazine. The last minor issue I realized was the use of numbers on the cover page. To me, they are aesthetically pleasing but it just doesn't fit. Having the numbers on the cover page gives off a table of contents look, which I do not want since I have to create a separate page for my table of contents. 

Despite these minor issues, I am very pleased with the outcome of my cover page. Since I have a couple of days until Jessica comes back home, I decided I am going to fix the issues on my page! But for now, I need some rest! I'll update with my new and improved cover page, see you later!

- AC

No comments:

Post a Comment