Mar 26, 2017

Communication Is Key

Today actually began pretty well, until a major set back happened...

After my morning workout, I decided it was finally time to get that interview done; it had been two days since I came up with my questions, and I needed to get this interview finished! 

So, I called up Jessica and asked her when it was possible to meet, which she hesitantly replied by saying she wasn't sure if today was a good day. Understandingly, I assured her that it was okay because I was on track with my magazine and had a couple of extra days to spare. However, as I suggested to meet up with her at her next soccer practice, Tuesday the 28th, she informed me that she would not be in town this whole week. I couldn't believe what I was hearing! How was I supposed to interview her when she is all the way across the country? This project was going so well, and now it will be set back a whole week because my main interview will have to be postponed!

After spending an hour or so pondering over how to fix the situation I realized that my problem was that Jessica and I were lacking communication. If I would have communicated with her more often, I would have learned about this earlier, and would have thought of ways to prevent this set back. Communication is key! How could I forget something so simple?

Though this set back required me to step up my game, it taught me a valuable lesson that will help me improve my magazine from here on out! No more staying quiet, it's time to communicate!

With this mindset, I had a major epiphany. Who said an interview can't be through text? I had exactly one hour until Jessica's flight departed and there was absolutely no time to waste!

I messaged her and asked her if she minded being interviewed over text, and with the amazing person that she is, she instantly agreed. She said she had an hour to kill at the airport so why not? With a grin on my face, I sent the questions on her way!

After what felt like an eternity, she replied with her answers; but something was missing. I realized she had only answered the first three questions before telling me her flight was boarding and she would have to leave. So I guess she will have to answer the rest of the questions another time...

But that's okay, at least I got some of the answers so I can begin working on constructing my magazine! 

Nothing can hold me back, not even a trip across the country!

- AC

No comments:

Post a Comment