Mar 10, 2017

Game On!

Here we are, the first day of this journey. I am so eager to embark on this adventure, well technically it's not an actual adventure but I mean... my minds going on one so it works. Throughout these past few weeks, my mind has been wandering all over the place. Who knew creating a magazine would be so challenging?

At first, I had no doubt in my mind that my magazine was going to be about food. However, after looking at some issues from Food Network Magazine, I realized almost every issue includes images of their homemade foods. I don't know how to cook though, so how am I going to cook my own original food? Ignoring that thought, I kept on looking at different issues regarding different recipes. Reading these recipes was such a challenge because there were so many words that I did not understand. For example, in an article about Chef's favorite St. Patrick's Day foods, the chef's use words such as doused, malted, brined, and braised. These unfamiliar words confused me but also made me realize that maybe I should stray away from the Food Magazine idea.

So I kept thinking. What is my passion? What am I interested in? What is challenging, but also enjoyable?

Then it hit me; Fashion. Since my best friend models, I can easily get her to be on the cover of my magazine. As I began researching about fashion magazines, I realized that many of them are cliches. They all focus on beauty tips, fashion tips,  and health practices. For instance, Cosmopolitan is one of the biggest fashion/beauty magazines in the world. But every issue only focuses on the sex, beauty, and health cliches.

I didn't want to be another cliche, I want my magazine to be my own original piece. So I kept on thinking...

I could have found different ways to represent the fashion world outside of the clichés, but my brain was going to explode. There are so many aspects of fashion that I am not familiar with, even though it interests me; I never fully dove into that world, just kinda dipped my toes. So the whole process began again.

I pondered over at least a dozen other topics. Nothing was coming to me. I was watching the U.S. Women's soccer team's game against France and I had an epiphany. I HAVE to do my magazine on soccer. After a whole two years of not playing, I realize I should bring back the spark and open up the past. Since I miss the feeling of being a part of the wonderful, exciting, and challenging sport, I set my mind on this topic to bring soccer back into my life.

Game on!

- AC

"Chefs' Top Irish Dishes." FN Dish – Food Network Blog. N.p., 10 Mar. 2017. Web. 14 Mar. 2017. <http://blog.foodnetwork.com/fn-dish/2017/03/chefs-picks-st-patricks-day/>. 
Swantek, Braelyn Wood and Samantha, Laura Beck, Aurora Tower, Peter Wade, Alyssa Bailey, Sarah Weinberg, Katie O'Malley, Kayleigh Roberts, Candace Braun Davison, Kelsey Kloss, The Editors, Matt Miller, Estelle Tang, Rachel Torgerson, Mylan Torres, Danielle Tullo, Samantha Swantek, Gina Mei, Diana Bruk, Tess Koman, and Emma Dibdin. "Braelyn Wood and Samantha Swantek." Cosmopolitan. Cosmopolitan, n.d. Web. 14 Mar. 2017. <http://www.cosmopolitan.com/>.

No comments:

Post a Comment