Mar 19, 2017

The Game Plan

Now that I have my outline out of the way, I can begin to plan everything out.

After scrolling through endless examples on table-of-contents layouts on Pinterest, I discovered many different ways to present the contents I want to include in my magazine.

Before I design my contents page however, I need to plan out what stories and articles will be in my magazine. Without a doubt, my main story line will be an interview with my close soccer friend about gender equality on the field. Keeping the topic of gender equality throughout the magazine will help it be more cohesive and structured. Therefore, the other storylines will also be about gender equality.

Now for the design!

The most successful layouts consist of a few images along with bold headings and simple text. For example, FourFourTwo has created many content pages like this one:



This contents page is organized through the use of two columns, few images, bold titles and page numbers, and simple text. The layout also focuses on one main color palette, consisting of red, white,  grey, yellow, and green. All of these elements combined attract the viewers attention and urge them to keep reading more.





This layout has allowed me to brainstorm different ideas for my original layout, resulting in my final design for the contents page.







For my contents page, I have decided to keep the organization nice and simple mainly because the magazine's target audience is younger kids. This simplicity allows the young kids to focus on the important factors without being overwhelmed with too much text or pictures. 











Moving on to my double-page spread!

Since my main storyline is going to be an interview, I have also designed my double-paged layout in a interesting format. Here take a look:



Initially, I had the title set for only one page but realized that having it spread across both pages helps it flow much more smoothly and makes it look more appealing. The use of the two columns on both pages helps unify the spread. I chose to being the interview with an image across the first page to show the person I am interviewing, Jessica Cuenca. After using one big image, I decided to keep the rest of the spread simple and use only two other images so they don't over power the text. Overall, I am content with how it turned out and cannot wait to make it into a reality!

I have chosen this week to finally turn this dream into a reality. I have agreed to meet up with my model on Tuesday to take a couple of shots during her soccer practice. Then on Thursday, March 23, my model and I will meet up once more for the interview. After both of these meetings I will update you on our progress, so stay tuned! 

- AC

Zinio. N.p., n.d. Web. 19 Mar. 2017. <https://www.zinio.com/www/browse/issue.jsp?skuId=416333018>.

No comments:

Post a Comment