Mar 17, 2017

Scanning The Rivals

A couple days have passed, and I now feel one hundred percent confident in my magazine choice. I am so ready for this!

I have gathered up a couple of images from different Sports magazines such as ESPNSports Illustrated, and NewsWeek, showcasing Women's soccer in their issue. Each cover has a different organization style which interests me and allows me to open my eyes up to different designs.

In this cover by News Week, Hope Solo, the goalkeeper for the U.S. Women's National Team, is photographed in an action shot of her kicking the ball. The angle of the shot highlights her skills while showcasing the actions. This is an interesting photograph because it makes the viewer feel as if they were right there in front of her. Also, the masthead and cover lines are organized in a simple manner so they don't over power the image. Personally, I absolutely love this design since it is so simple; but maybe I should go out of my comfort zone and challenge myself.

The masthead in this layout is bigger and bolder, capturing most of the attention. Although the masthead is the main focus, the contrast of color between the bold red masthead and the blues of the soccer players, allow the viewers to also focus on the players. The red and blue colors are also used throughout the cover lines, which provides a consistent color pattern and organization. This could be the direction I go in since it is so appealing to the eyes. The only change I would make is photographing one player instead of three.

The SportsIllustrated layout focuses mainly on the color red. The attention is mainly on the masthead because of the white text against the bold red background. The jersey of the player, the cover lines, and  everything else sort of blends in together without anything being the main focus. I don't really like the design of this layout since it only focuses on one main color. The intense bold red makes my eyes hurt by just looking at it. However, I really like the simple photograph of the player holding the trophy; maybe I'll use that!



Overall, these three magazines really helped me visualize what I want my cover page to look like. The idea of having two contrasting colors like ESPN, really interests me along with the simple cover lines shown in the NewsWeek layout.  I have a specific image of my cover page in my head but it may look complete different on paper. Stay tuned too see how it looks!

- AC

"Magazine Covers." Pinterest. N.p., n.d. Web. 17 Mar. 2017. <https://www.pinterest.com/mattandcorrie/magazine-covers/>. 
"People." Pinterest. N.p., n.d. Web. 17 Mar. 2017. <https://www.pinterest.com/steelone/people/>. 
"SI Covers: 2015 World Cup-winning U.S. Women." SI.com. N.p., n.d. Web. 17 Mar. 2017. <http://www.si.com/planet-futbol/photos/2015/07/13/sports-illustrated-covers-uswnt-2015-world-cup/1>.

No comments:

Post a Comment