Apr 1, 2017

The Interview!

It is finally Saturday evening and Jessica has arrived back home! This week went by so slowly but the time for my interview finally arrived. As soon as she arrived, she informed me that we could meet and finish the interview. I couldn't wait!

Since she had only answered three of the questions, there was still half of the interview left. We met at a coffee shop, indulging the delicious coffee and peaceful surroundings. After catching up a bit, we agreed it was time to finish the interview. I asked her each question, patiently waiting for her answer. It was somewhat of a challenge for her to formulate her answers because she had so much to say but she didn't know how to express it. After a couple of minutes thinking deeply about each question, she replied with cohesive answers. Here are my questions and her answers: 

1. What does soccer mean to you?

A lot of people like to say "it's just a passion" but to me, it’s what keeps me going in life. When I'm upset or feeling down, I go to the field and play soccer to get my mind off of everything. Yes, soccer is a sport, but it also means everything to me. It is my past, my present, and my future. Soccer is my life.

2. Do you believe soccer is limited to one gender?

I believe it's a unisex game. There really isn't anything that only a man can do or only a girl can do. Now a days, some women are better soldiers than men and some men cook better than women. So soccer isn’t limited at all.

3. Have you heard about the gender equality issues in sports? If so what have you heard?

Though women finally have many of the same rights as men, it isn’t uncommon to hear casual conversations about gender equality. However, it is very rare that these conversations dive into the topic of equality in sports. Many people do not talk about this unfamiliar with it or sadly, do not realize it is an actual issue.

4. Why is so important to talk about these issues?

I believe it is important to talk about these issues so people are more aware of it, and in turn try to do something about it. The less talk, the less action. We need something to be done, we need to be heard! Not only does talking about the issue bring awareness to the subject, but it also empowers other women to fight with us. The more strength we have, the easier it will be to gain these rights.There’s no more time to waste. It’s time for equality!

5. What can us women do to fight for our equality on the field?

I believe women can continue to fight for our equality by showing others how often we win and how we bring home the biggest trophies that men don't win. Women can also fight for equality by respecting their male peers and supporting each other, because equality means equal. It doesn't mean that we are better, we are the same. So if we keeping respecting our peers, I belive it will benefit us in the end. Who wants to help a selfish person who seems to only be fighting for themselves? The answer is no one; no one will help us if we act that way, so we have to be kind. In the end kindness always wins. 

6. Who is your soccer inspiration, and why?

My soccer inspiration is my grandfather. When he was a child, he had played soccer, and influenced me to do the same. He has always been there for me when I left my games; he would tell me "you did great princess, don't listen to them. You just have to improve on...," and told me what I had to improve on for next time. He has never said "you did bad," or "why didnt you play better?" My grandfather has never let me put my head down. Because of him I have continued to grow ans succeed as a amazing player and person. I am currently the captain of the West Pines United girl's U17 team, and have a pending scholarship for a University in Georgia, all because of him. He has inspired my greatness, and I will carry it with me for as long as I live. 


There you have it! My interview is finally finished and I can finally stop stressing! Well, only for a little; I still have to complete my table of contents and double page spread. Let's see how that goes!

- AC



No comments:

Post a Comment